Key Steps to Take when Divorce is on the Horizonfz1208
It’s a word that sends most people into emotional distress: divorce. If you believe that a divorce is your best option, it’s very important to take a few preliminary steps while you are preparing for the end of your marriage. First, you have to decide how to tell your spouse you want a divorce.
If you have decided to take this life-altering step in your life, you probably won’t have fond memories of your wedding day. However, you should consider the substantial amount of planning it took to prepare for an event that only lasted a few hours. Even simple weddings involve preparation and organization. There are some important steps to take before asking your spouse for a divorce.
This same principle will apply to end your marriage. Proper preparation and organization can prove extremely beneficial in minimizing conflict during the divorce process and could set up a bright future for you and your children. Remember, if you are going through a divorce, you’re not alone.
Actually, in the United States, about 50% of all marriages end in divorce. Although the prospect of a separation can be incredibly stressful and overwhelming there are ways to reduce the pain and annoyance of the process if you know there is no way around it. There are important steps you need to consider now, such as establishing separate bank accounts and resolve living arrangements.
You also need to start gathering financial documents, such as tax returns, checking and savings account statements, mortgage statements, credit card statements, joint and separate assets, pension plans, retirement accounts, and life and health insurance policy.
You also need to start putting your support team together. You should not attempt to go through a challenging and stressful divorce on your own. Getting a support network of family and friends to help with your emotional and psychological well-being can limit disruptions that a divorce will cause.
Of course, retaining the right Los Angeles divorce lawyer is a critical part of your planning. Your preparation will not be complete until you have hired a skilled and experienced divorce attorney who can effectively guide you and protect your rights throughout the divorce process.
This decision alone could be the most important part of your planning. The Los Angeles divorce lawyers at Furman & Zavatsky LLP have extensive experience in helping people who are preparing for a divorce.
Again, the key to managing the divorce process in the best way possible is to prepare. When you have time on your side, you’re already one step ahead in the game. We’ve put together a list of “do” and “don’t do” suggestions to help you with the beginning of the process. These are the key steps to take when you know a divorce is on the horizon.
Key Steps to Take for Impending Divorce
You’ve made the difficult decision to divorce your partner and now it’s time to figure out what to do next. Here are the important steps to take once you know a divorce is in the near future:
- Research exactly what a happens in a California divorce. What are the initial steps in the petition? Do both parties need to agree? What is the timeline? Do you have a California prenuptial agreement? These are all important questions that you should know the answers to before getting started.
- Hire a knowledgeable divorce lawyer. Working with an experienced lawyer can make all the difference. An attorney can fill in the gaps and help you really understand the process. They will represent you at a time when making decisions can feel overwhelming.
- Build your support network. There’s no question that this will be a difficult time in your life, so it’s helpful to reach out to people you care about and explain what is going on. Build a network on people who you care about, and surround yourself with them. Spending time with these people can be very useful. Now is the time to find a therapist (if you don’t already have on) who can help you work through this.
- Get your finances in order. You might have heard it before, divorces can be expensive. Even in the most seemingly straightforward cases, it’s important that you have a real understanding of your financial situation. This is something your lawyer can help you with as well. They will advise you on the proper documentation to gather so that your financial records are complete once the divorce proceedings begin.
Important Actions and Behaviors to Avoid
While it’s crucial to be proactive in taking certain steps before you start your divorce proceedings, it’s equally important to be aware of behaviors that you should avoid at this time. These might include:
- Stay off social media. Many people don’t realize this, but even a friendly comment or post on social media can be held against you and can have disastrous results down the line. For this reason, it’s best to refrain from participating in any social media until your divorce is finalized, regardless of how difficult this might seem.
- Let it go. Don’t engage in a fight over items that you don’t truly care about. Save your energy and negotiating power for the things that are really important to you.
- Refrain from any excessive spending. Remember, your finances are still shared until the divorce is complete. If you make any big purchases, or withdraw a large amount of money from your joint account, this could easily be held against you once the divorce process is initiated.
- Don’t forget to change your will. This might be the very last thing on your mind when you’re talking about divorce, and it’s easy to forget this step. Updating your will both ensure that your property is allocated to the correct people in the event of your death, and it can give you a new sense of power and resolve.
Call Our Los Angeles Divorce Lawyers
When you’re going through the initial stages of a divorce, it can be difficult to know what steps to take. One thing you should understand is that working with an experienced divorce lawyer is the best way to achieve the outcome you hope for.
The attorneys at the law firm of Furman & Zavatasky have many years of experience and helping with couples and individuals in the Los Angeles area who are approaching a divorce. Reach out and contact us online or call us today at 818-528-3471 to set up your free initial consultation. We will work with you and aggressively fight for the best resolution.
Furman & Zavatsky LLP
15821 Ventura Blvd #690
Encino, CA 91436